Our allotment sites

If you don’t have a garden but want to grow your own fruit, vegetables or flowers, an allotment might be the answer. You not only get fresh great tasting seasonal produce, but save money and help the environment too.

We manage five allotment sites in the Wakefield district, each made up of individual plots which can be rented by local residents.

The sites are at:

All the plots vary in size and an individual valuation is carried out on each plot as and when it becomes available. A discount of 50% off the annual rent applies to tenants over the age of 60.

For sites where water is provided, an additional water charge will be payable. The amount is assessed by Yorkshire Water and will be detailed on the statements for each plot.

How to apply for an allotment

Allotments are very popular, there's currently a waiting list  for each of our five sites and expressions of interest are logged in date order. 

Due to high demand for allotments and the low number of tenancies being given up, you might have to wait for at least 12 months before being allocated a plot. 

To add your name to a list for a WDH allotment plot in the Wakefield district call 01977 788605 or email your details to the Commercial team and they will call you back.

If you live outside the Wakefield district visit GOV.UK to apply for an allotment near you.

When plots become available they will be offered to people on the list according to the date they applied.

When you are offered an allotment you'll need to complete the Allotment Application Form and sent back to us at:

Allotments – WDH Commercial Team
Merefield House
Whistler Drive
WF10 5HX

For more information on WDH allotments please email the Commercial team or phone 01977 788605.

Passing an allotment to someone else

Unfortunately, WDH allotments can't be passed to anyone else, this includes family members.

If you are giving up a WDH allotment plot you need to contact us in writing, at the address above, in accordance with your Allotment Tenancy Agreement.

Contact your local authority if your plot is outside the Wakefield district.