What is antisocial behaviour (ASB)? 

ASB is behaviour which causes annoyance, disturbance or distress that prevents people from enjoying their homes peacefully and quietly. Examples include: 

  • excessive or persistent noise e.g. loud music or TV; 

  • abusive or insulting behaviour; 

  • shouting, screaming, swearing or drunkenness; 

  • using violence or threatening to use violence; 

  • vandalism, graffiti or fly–tipping; and 

  • using cars or motorbikes illegally. 

What is harassment? 

The following are examples of harassment: 

  • damage to property, for example, graffiti or vandalism; 

  • verbal abuse and threats of violence; 

  • violent acts; 

  • domestic abuse; and 

  • hate crime. 

What isn’t classed as ASB?  

Some behaviour may be annoying or inconvenient but isn’t classed as ASB. This includes: 

  • children playing in the street; 

  • children arguing; 

  • riding bikes or skateboards; 

  • noise from flushing toilets, cooking smells, smoking in your own home, washing machines, babies crying or playing; 

  • staring or looking at someone; 

  • pets straying across garden areas; or 

  • noise from a one-off party or barbecue.  

How to tackle ASB  

We understand it can be difficult to pluck up the courage to talk directly to a neighbour about a problem they may be causing. But, sometimes people are unaware they are causing a nuisance, especially when it comes to noise, so a neighbour may just need reminding that their behaviour is upsetting you. 

  • Try and approach your neighbour for a 'friendly chat' to discuss things in a calm and reasonable way. 

  • Keep a record of all incidents including date, time, what happened and details of anyone else involved. 

  • Please do not retaliate as this may result in complaints being made about you. 

  • If the other person is unreasonable, just walk away. Do not get involved in an argument. 


If you have tried to deal with the problem but there is no improvement, depending on the nature of the incident, you can report nuisance behaviour to WDH in the following ways. 

  • Phone OneCALL on 0345 8 507 507 (lines are open all day, every day). 

  • Visit any of our Hubs. 

  • Use our online reporting form

We encourage you to speak to your neighbour wherever possible to resolve a complaint. 

As your landlord we will investigate allegations of nuisance or antisocial behaviour and deal with the complaint appropriately and in confidence. 

Please visit our reporting guide to ensure that you are reporting to the correct place. 

What happens next? 

We will: 

  • record your complaint, making sure we get as much accurate information as possible; 

  • ask you for full details of what happened and who was involved; 

  • start to look into your complaint within seven working days, or 48 hours if the complaint is about threats of violence, domestic abuse or hate behaviour; 

  • keep you involved at all stages of the complaint, we will tell you about any progress we make; and 

  • work closely with other agencies such as West Yorkshire Police and Wakefield Council to help deal with the problem. 

Wherever possible, we will try to sort out any problems informally and help the people involved to resolve their differences. We can arrange mediation (independent help to sort out a problem) between the people involved, if they all agree.

If a person continues to cause ASB, we can take appropriate enforcement action which will be proportionate to the case. These actions can include:

  • taking out an injunction (a legal order that tells a person what they can or cannot do) against the person responsible; or

  • applying for a possession order against the person responsible (an order which means we can take back their home).

The length of time it takes to deal with ASB cases can vary depending on whether there is a need to take legal action.

Read our ASB Policy and ASB Procedure documents for more information. Further support and advice is also available on the Victim Support and Stop Hate UK websites and by logging in to your online account. 



How do I report the illegal use of WDH land (encroachment)?

Land encroachment occurs where land is used without permission.

If you think someone might have extended their garden, or fenced off an area of WDH land without permission, please contact us by email or phone 01977 788605, immediately, or you can write to:                        

Commercial Team
Merefield House
Whistler Drive
WF10 5HX

Any information you give us will be dealt with in strict confidence.