Logout or return to tenant home page

How are rents calculated?

How we calculate your rent and service charges

General information - 2019 / 2020

2019 / 2020 is the last year of the rent reduction policy introduced by the government In April 2016.  This applied to all social landlords to reduce the rents of all their General Needs properties (excluding Intermediate Rents and Shared Ownership Rents,) by 1% every year for four years  

Supported Housing properties were exempt from the 1% rent reduction for 2016 / 2017.  However, from April 2017 the 1% rent reduction applied to these property types too.

The government has announced that post 2020 rent increases will be at CPI plus 1%.

How will the changes affect me? 

General needs tenant

These tenancies will see a further 1% reduction in the rent charged from April 2019.

Affordable rent tenant

Rents will reduce again by 1% from April 2019.  If there is a change of tenancy, the rent will be recalculated to 80% of the market rent.

Intermediate rent tenant

These properties are not impacted by the change of legislation, the previous method of calculating rents (CPI plus 1%) will still apply.  This equates to a 3.4% increase from April 2019.

Shared ownership tenant

The annual rent variation is included within each specific lease.

The average weekly rent (excluding service charges) 2018/2019 for tenanted properties, as at March 2018 is £89.30.

If you have any questions about rent calculations please contact OneCALL on 0345 8 507 507.

Additional charges

Along with your rent, you may pay service charges.  These charges are for services which may not be provided to everyone, or for shared facilities rather than for a particular home.  Some tenants receive different types of service, according to their needs.

We will only make a service charge where necessary to do so.  Examples of service charges include:

  • the cost of meals in Extra Care Schemes;
  • using a Care Link alarm system;
  • use of communal facilities in a sheltered scheme;
  • district heating;
  • the provision of a lift.

We will make sure all service charges represent value for money, are of a high standard and are in line with current good practice.  This is achieved by calculating charges to show the economic cost of providing the service to everyone who uses it. 

Universal Credit / Housing Benefit

To register a claim for Universal Credit / Housing Benefit you will need to make a claim to your local authority.  You can find more information on the Universal Credit pages of the Gov.UK website.

Wakefield district residents can visit the Housing Benefit web pages at Wakefield Council.


rents ; calculated ; set ; rise ; fall ; rules ; council