A new entrance to The Barracks estate in Pontefract was unveiled during a remembrance service on Monday 12 November, marking 100 years since the end of World War One.
The Barracks Community Association received a 10 year anniversary grant for environmental improvements from WDH which they used to build the new entrance to celebrate the history of the estate and create a fitting tribute to all the service men and women and their families who had been stationed or lived there.
The group was keen to create a place for reflection, especially for older residents, whilst also improving the entrance to the estate and giving it back a sense of its identity as former army barracks.
Pontefract Civic Society worked alongside WDH and The Barracks Community Association to create the unique monument as a reminder of the local history and to mark the centenary year.
The event saw members from each group lay wreaths and Father Michael from the local church gave a short dedication, followed by a two minutes silence.
Claire Secker, WDH’s Tenant Involvement Officer, has played a key role in the project and organising the unveiling of the feature and the plaque. She said: “The project has gone from strength to strength with everyone involved playing a significant role in the completion of the new impressive entrance feature. It seemed fitting to hold the unveiling ceremony and to dedicate it during the remembrance celebrations.”
Anne Cuthbert, Chairperson of The Barracks Community Association, said: “It has taken two years of planning and hard work by all involved to reach this point. The memorial is wonderful and has given the estate its identity back after all these years. It is a place people can go to reflect and remember and it would be lovely to provide a service here each year for elderly residents who can’t make it into town. The project is set to grow as we would like to add another bench and work with the Pontefract Civic Society on some history boards to make it even better.”